Who likes fruity cupcakes? This girl!
I'm really starting to get into summery things because I just cannot wait anymore for the warm weather so I thought what tastes more like summer than a lemon cupcake? I mean, c'mon!
I found a great looking recipe for a lemon pound cake with blackberry and raspberry buttercream frosting. How amazing does that sound? Let me tell you, they were awesome x 10!
Here is the recipe and ingredients I used:
For the cupcakes:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup plain yogurt (I used vanilla flavored)
3 tablespoons lemon zest
2/3 cup lemon juice
For the blackberry and raspberry frosting:
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup blackberries
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup raspberries
To make cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 24 muffin cups in cupcake tins.
3. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
4. In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice.
6. Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating in between each one.
7. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the yogurt mixture in 2 parts.
8. Fill muffin cups almost to the top. Bake for 16 minutes, rotating pan after 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack.
To make frosting:
To make the frosting you will need to make blackberry sauce and raspberry sauce.
To make the blackberry sauce:
1. Combine 1 cup blackberries, 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a sauce pan and place over medium heat. Stir frequently until juices from berries boil.
2. Using a wooden spoon, crush the berries in the pan.
3. Let boil for 2 minutes to make sauce more dense. Strain the mixture if you prefer to have smoother frosting. Cool in refrigerator.
Do these same exact steps for the raspberries.
Once you have the sauces made, Beat butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar until smooth. Divide into two parts, removing half from the mixer bowl. Add the blackberry sauce to the mixer bowl along with 3/4 cup of powdered sugar. Place buttercream in a piping bag and pipe a circle around the outer edge of the cupcake.
In the same bowl, add the raspberry sauce and 3/4 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Once again, place into a piping bag and dollop into center of blackberry frosting.
There you have it!
These were the perfect cupcake to satisfy my summer kick!
I also tried out a root beer float cupcake recipe. The cupcake itself turned out great, tasted just like root beer! The frosting, not so much. I will attempt them again, but I will let you take a peek at how they looked...
Pretty cute huh?! I thought the little gummy bottles added a nice touch.