Thursday, October 6, 2011

Apple Crisps!

Are you wondering why the title of this post says crisps? Yes, that's right, plural. I made two apple crisps! Just because the first one was so good, I had to make another, but mix it up a bit of course.

        (I made these recipes for the improv cooking challenge! Check it out on October 20th!)

The first one I made was just plain ol' apple crisp. Very easy to make, and sooo very good to eat!

Here is what you will need:

5 apples
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice
2 tbsp apple juice

Now this is what you do:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a 9 inch baking pan then dust it with flour.
  • Peel, core and slice the apples. and arrange them in the pan like so


  • In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend the oats, brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon, salt and allspice on low speed until it gets crumbly.
  • Crumble the mixture evenly over the apples and sprinkle with the juice like so



  • Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool

Perfection.

Now since for the improv cooking challenge you needed to use caramel as well, what I did was drizzled caramel on top of the apples before I put the crumb mixture on top. Um, delicious right!? I suppose I could have drizzled it on top as well...

Oh yeah, when I made my apple crisp, I added a little extra oats, brown sugar and butter just because my favorite part IS the crumb mixture on top :)

Now for my second crisp I made, basically the same thing just wanted to add some raspberries into the mix! Pretty good idea right?

What you will need:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, melted

What you do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
  • In a large bowl, mix brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Add sliced apples and raspberries; toss to coat. Spoon into baking dish.

(Need a closer look?)


  • In a medium bowl, mix together oats, 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture.


  • Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. Serve warm.


Once again, drizzle some caramel and after you cut yourself a slice, top with some vanilla ice cream or whip cream. Or hey, both?

soooo good!

 
I partied @
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment