Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chocolate chocolate chocolate!

It's been awhile, but I haven't been slacking, I swear! Just haven't had time to make it on the computer, that's all.

What have I been up to? Making delicious cupcakes of course! It was currently the end of the fiscal year so I was making some "New Year" cupcakes for a potluck at work. When asked for suggestions from everyone I got "something chocolate" Well...I can do that!

I picked a chocolate cupcake with (really amazing) chocolate frosting. I got the recipe over at Annie's Eats. They were going to be "triple chocolate" but I am not a huge fan of ganache, don't get me wrong I don't hate it, just prefer something a little....fluffier? ha! So I was going to go with a raspberry center, but when it came time and I tried whipping something up it didn't turn out how I liked so I panicked...then my boyfriend had a great idea...cream cheese frosting! Uh, hello, shoulda thought of that myself!

The recipe that Annie's Eats gives is for 32+ cupcakes, and unless your feeding an army ya prolly are like me and don't need that many so I cut this recipe in half....

For the cupcakes:
¾ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
¾ cup hot water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1¼ tsp. coarse salt
1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
2¼ cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature


For the frosting:
14 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used bittersweet chocolate chips..easy way out!)
9 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
9 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
6 tbsp. unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sour cream


To make the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  
In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.  
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and the sugar over medium heat.  Heat, stirring occasionally to combine, until the butter is melted. Remove the mixture from the heat and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Beat on medium-low speed, 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is cooled.  Mix in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed and beating well after each addition.  Mix in the vanilla and then the cocoa mixture and beat until incorporated.  
With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, beating just until combined.
Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ of the way full.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting:
Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. (I melted my chips in the microwave..oh! Extra easy)
Set aside to cool until just barely warm.  
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  
Gradually mix in the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and salt.  
Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate and then the sour cream. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and well blended.  Frost cupcakes immediately.

For the middle of my cupcakes I mixed a stick of butter, 8 oz cream cheese and about 2 cups confectioners' sugar together. It was not very thick which was how I wanted it so it was nice and smooth in the middle. I then added about a teaspoon and a half of almond extract...I love that flavor!


They turned out perfect! Love this recipe!

The frosting was so smooth and ....chocolatey!! It got great reviews :)

Some were plain, some had pearly sprinkles...
Happy Fiscal Year!

I partied @
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. My kids love chocolate cupcakes and would love these! I am a new follower from Frugal Friday. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look adorable and tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete