I'd be lying if I said I haven't been a bit absent lately..
It has been 70 or higher the past couple days, so can you blame me?!
Oh how I love the SUN!
And as I sit here and write this blog post I can smell the grills cookin' outside, hear kids playing and feel the breeze blowing in through the windows. Nothing could be better!
So what is the one thing I love most about summertime?
Green grass? No.
Birds chirping? Nope.
Sandals and cute little outfits? I like that, but I have something else in mind....
So what then you ask?
Icecream just is not that cool in winter time because you are already cold and trying to stay warm, so when the warm weather starts coming, I get the icecream itch!
I know I'm not alone. :)
I wanted to make a treat to bring to work so I decided on some chocolate malt cupcakes. I've seen these little guys floating around on many blogs out there and decided it was finally the perfect time to make them.
Look at those cuties!
Here is the recipe I used...which I got from
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose baking flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups malted milk powder (I used the chocolate)
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, room temp.
1 cup sour cream, room temp.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for the buttercream:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
1 cup vegetable shortening, room temp.
1/2 cup malted milk powder
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
5 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions for the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. (This will make 24)
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until powder is dissolved.
3. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add sour cream and vanilla, and beat just until combined.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about halfway full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Perfection. Or so I like to tell myself. :)
Directions for buttercream:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whip butter and shortening for several minutes until very light and fluffy.
2. Sprinkle in malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whip for 1 minute.
3. Slowly add in the powdered sugar. I did not use all 5 cups, you can stop when you feel the frosting is thick enough.
4. Frost cupcakes and top with a malted milk ball.
I looked for some cute straws to stick in the cupcakes but could not find any...next time!
The frosting was perfect for these cupcakes and I just thought they were adorable!
So if you are like me and got the icecream itch, go ahead and make yourself a batch of these chocolate malt cupcakes. They satisfied everyone who tried one!
I partied @