Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Obviously I have a sweet tooth, but one of my biggest weaknesses are cinnamon rolls. I had some flour and yeast that i had to use up but I was always a little nervous about making my own homemade cinnamon rolls, but I figured its now or never right!?

I was looking around on a few of my favorite blogs when I came across some good looking pictures of cinnamon rolls on Sweetapolita. I instantly knew that these were the ones that I wanted to try!

Lets get started, you will need:

For the dough:
1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup bread flour

For the filling:
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine

For the frosting:
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup margarine
1 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla flavor
1/8 tsp lemon flavor

Now here is what you do:

1. Dissolve the yeast in the wam milk. ( I did this in the bowl of my electric mixer. )
2. Add sugar, margarine, salt, eggs and flours. Mix well.
3. Knead the dough into a large ball. Put in bowl and cover. Let rise for about 1 hour.
4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. It should be approx 21 inches long by 16 inches wide and approx 1/4 inch thick.

Now we start the filling:
1. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Spread the softened margarine over the surface of the dough.
3. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over the surface, leaving about 1 inch untouched around edges. ( I just poured the mixture into the middle and spread it out with a fork. )

It should look like this...

Now you will want to gently roll it into a fairly tight roll. Try to keep that filling inside!


It should look like this!


Next, take a sharp knife and cut into 12 pieces.
Place on parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and cover with a lint-free cloth. Let rise for another hour.

These are my cut rolls. I did not have a very sharp knife, but I got the job done..

Look at all that cinnamon sugar!!!


After they have risen for another hour, bake at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes. They will get all nice and golden brown. Cool on cooling rack and gently place into airtight container when cool.

Now seriously, how good do these look? They were humungous and oh so good to look at!

Lets get these frosted shall we?!


To start the frosting, place cream cheese and margarine in bowl of electric mixer. Let sit for about a half hour so it gets to be at room temp.
Using the paddle attachment, mix for 6 minutes on speed "2".
Switch to the stainless steel whip and beat on speed "6" for 10 minutes.
Add 1 cup confectioners' sugar and beat for one minute.
Add the rest of the 3/4 cup sugar and beat for another minute.
Next, add the vanilla and lemon flavors and beat for another 1 minute on high speed.

All done!

Frost those suckers!



Ohh La La :)

These were so fun to make and so much fun to eat! If your looking for a cinnamon roll recipe, I highly recommend this one, it fully delivered a mouthful of happiness :)


I partied @
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I love cinnamon rolls SO much. You and I do the same sort of thing with frosting...the more is the better! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete