Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Homemade Monkey Bread

I wanted to make something...bread like, so I set myself on monkey bread! I have not had this stuff since, well, I can't even remember the last time I had it. I went and found a very simple and very delicious recipe. You must try!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup water, warm
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3-3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup milk, warm

2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1. Lightly grease a standard 10-in bundt pan with vegetable oil and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water and yeast. Let stand for 2 minutes until yeast is slightly foamy.
3. Stir in 1 cup of the flour, along with the salt, sugar, vanilla, egg, 2 tbsp melted butter and warm milk. Mix well until dough is fairly smooth.
4. Put the dough hook attachment onto your mixer and gradually add in the remaining flour, mixing at medium speed until dough comes easily away from the sides of the bowl.
5. Knead for 3-4 minutes on medium speed. (My mixer started to jump a little!)
6. Remove dough hook and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for 30 minutes.

There's my dough!

Now as 30 minutes has passed...

7. In a bowl, whisk together brown sugar and spices. Place melted butter in a nearby bowl and grab a fork!
8. Flatten dough out on a lightly floured surface and using a knife, cut off small pieces of dough to from 1/2 to 1 inch balls. (I just ripped off pieces of dough, no knife needed!)
9. Place dough ball, (I placed more than 1 at a time) into melted butter and roll around. Then dunk into brown sugar mixture and make sure ball is completely coated. Yummy!
10. Place all coated dough balls into prepared bundt pan.

It will look like this!



Now you will want to cover your bundt pan with plastic wrap and let sit for 60 minutes. The dough will double in size. I know, I know, the waiting stinks!

While dough is 'resting' preheat your oven to 350. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.


Cannot get any better than that! Now comes the time to flip the pan upside down and turn bread out on a plate. (Eat a piece or 5 while they are warm and gooey!) ;)



And there you have it, Classic Monkey Bread.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment