Monday, August 15, 2011

Banana Split cupcakes!

So I wanted to try something...fun, and looking at all the recipes out there I came across some banana split cupcakes and I knew this was what I wanted to try next! They were a little work, but so totally worth it! I found many recipes for banana split cupcakes and mostly all of them were the same. I knew I wanted to get every taste of the banana split so I chose a recipe that had banana, strawberry, pineapple and chocolate! Here it is:

For the cupcakes
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract ( I use imitation)
2 ripe bananas mashed
3/4 cup sour cream

For the filling
1 lb strawberries, chopped up small
2 tbsp confectioners' sugar
12 oz crushed pineapple, drained

For the frosting
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions for the cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, vanilla and bananas to the butter and sugar mix. Mix well! Add the flour mixture alternately with sour cream; blend thoroughly but do not overmix. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in the pan on rack then remove and cool completely.
Getting ready for the insides!

Now while the cupcakes are cooling, you can prepare the strawberry filling (or you can do this while they are baking!)
Combine the strawberries and confectioners' sugar in a bowl. Mix them well while smashing lightly with a fork. Allow the berries to macerate at least 20 minutes.
Drain your pineapple. (I did not drain and the juice sank into the cupcakes which made them ...how do I say this...EXCELLENT!)

In the meantime you can start whipping up your frosting, literally.

First, add the heavy cream to your chilled bowl for your mixer. I stuck my bowl into my freezer for a couple minutes. With the whisk attachment and on medium speed, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and continue to whip until thoroughly combined and stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over-beat! Blend in the vanilla. After I was done making the frosting, I covered it and stuck it in the fridge.

Now it's time to stuff the cupcakes! First lets cut the center out!


Now, lets add some pineapple!


A little blurry, but it is in there, trust me :)
Now put some of that strawberry in there!



Ok, now we are to the fun part. Top these suckers with some of that whipped cream frosting! Make some ganache and pour over the top (my ganache did not set up on top like it was suppose to but ran over the sides, which was ok because it still looked ok)
Oh yeah, add some flare and a cherry on top!


I was looking in my fridge right after and noticed I had some caramel sauce in there, and I thought, Heck Yes!!!



ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!
Tasted just like a banana split, no lie!
The banana cake, strawberry and pineapple filling and chocolate sauce all came together and made one heck of a yummy cupcake!

I wonder what this would taste like if I had put a dollop of ice cream with it ;)

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment