Sunday, July 22, 2012

Baked Doughnut!

Doughnuts are one of those things that when you think about one, you have to have one! That's why when I was walking down the aisle at Target and seen a doughnut pan on clearance (Clearance Queen here) I had to have it, and I had to use it...right away....like that day...no joke.

The pan had an easy peasy recipe right on it so I swung my cart around and headed down the food aisles collecting the odds and ends that I did not already have at home. 

I have never had a baked doughnut before, but I had to give it a shot. And since it's baked, it's good for you right? ;) 

I also couldn't decide what i wanted to top my doughnuts with. I love chocolate so okay, I am going to top them with chocolate glaze. Then I thought "Ohhh, I love powdered doughnuts!" Okay, so I will top half with powdered sugar. Then cinnamon sugared doughnuts popped into my head and it was all over from there. I was making all 3. Nobody was talking me out of it.

It was almost like I had to turn my brain off so I would stop thinking of new ideas, otherwise I would have had each doughnut with a different topping! I guess that wouldn't have been so bad, but then I would have had to try them all...which probably wouldn't have been such a hot idea. Eh, I've been known to down a few doughnuts in my day, I bet I could have done it! :)

Here is the recipe that I used on the Wilton doughnut pan:

Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter; beat until just combined. Fill each doughnut cup approximately 2/3 full.
3. Bake 7-9 minutes or until the top of the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for 4-5 minutes before removing. 
4. Finish off doughnuts with topping (or toppings) of your choice. 

This recipe made 12 delicious doughnuts!

For the chocolate glazed doughnuts, here is how I made the chocolate glaze:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon hot water

Directions:
1. In medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup for 1 minute, stirring frequently until completely melted. Stir in 1 teaspoon of hot water until the glaze is thick and smooth. Use immediately. 

That was easy huh? Just dip the tops of those doughnuts right in the glaze and set on a cooling rack. I advise to put a pan underneath to catch all the drippings. Easy clean up. That is the way I like it!


 Look how smooth that chocolate looks!! 

Now we have the powdered sugar doughnuts. No big thang here, just need some powdered sugar and a baggie. Once the doughnuts are out of the oven and cooled a bit, drop a doughnut in the baggie with some powdered sugar and shake....shake shake...shake your booty! (might as well, all that work will give you room for 1 more bite!)


 Yummy! I tried to get more powdered sugar to stick, but it wouldn't. They were good either way.

Last but not least we got the cinnamon sugar doughnuts. Here is what I used:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
1. In a shallow bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
2. Dip the baked doughnut in the melted butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. 

That's it! 

  
 I would have to say that it was a close tie between the sugared and chocolate glazed doughnuts as being my favorite. 


 Arrange on a plate and show off those beauties! People will think they were store bought! 
I would also have to say that they were best eaten right away (well, what isn't?) because day 2, they were a bit soggy. Enjoy!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These look Delicious! I'm going to have to save this for later! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete