Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Layered Cake w/ Chocolate Peanut Butter Glaze

Chocolate Peanut Butter Layered Cake w/ Chocolate Peanut Butter Glaze..Did you catch all of that? 
I strongly recommend making this if you have a chocolate peanut butter lover in your life. I wouldn't say this is my first choice for flavors but I couldn't get enough of this cake! It was just that good!

The layers of peanut butter frosting with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and the wonderfully smooth chocolate peanut butter glaze on top really make this a rich and delicious..and AMAZING cake. 

I am going to get right to it, enough talking, more baking!

Ingredients for the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canola oil
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

Directions for cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper then butter the sides of pans.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Whisk to combine them well. Add the oil and sour cream and whisk to blend.
3. Gradually beat in the water. Blend in the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs and beat until well combined. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed.
4. Dived the batter among the three cake pans.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for about 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire racks, carefully peeling off the paper liners. Put into freezer for about 10 minutes to firm them up before frosting.



Ingredients for peanut butter frosting:
10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter

Directions for peanut butter frosting:
1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Continue to beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.

This frosting is to die for! Just picture it, cream cheese and peanut butter..mmm!! Anything with cream cheese is a hit in my book though! ;)

Now we get to assemble this thing! 

Grab your cakes, frosting and some Reese's.
 Unwrap and chop up your Reese's. You can use as many as you like. I cannot remember how many I used but it's really up to you and how your feeling that day. :)

Start with your first layer and spread some frosting on the top followed by some crushed Reese's. Next, add on your next layer of cake and repeat. 

 Finally, put on the third layer of cake and now you are going to frost the whole sha-bang! 
Have at it! Go crazy! 

Make it look nice and smooth...
Or if your like me, you can at least try..
 Beautiful isn't it? 

Now time for that chocolate peanut butter glaze. Yes!

Here is what you will need:
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup half and half

And here is what you do:
1. In the top of a double boiler or in a bowl set over simmering water, combine the chocolate, peanut butter and corn syrup. Cook, whisking often until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the half and half, beating until smooth. Use while still warm.

 Here is the fun part (besides eating it!) Take the chocolate pb glaze and pour right over the top of the cake. It will start to run over the sides of the cake and make a very pretty topping! Make sure to have a pan underneath your cake to catch all the glaze that will drip off. 


There you have it! One of thee best chocolate peanut butter glazed cakes that I have ever had! 

Put that rich and delicious beauty right on the pedestal it deserves, then dig in!


 Ohhh yeahhhhh! 

Wanna peek inside? I'll let ya take a look...
 Amazing! 

Have a glass of milk on hand when trying to tackle this, it will be greatly needed. 

Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. OMG !!!
    This cake looks soooooooooooooo delicious, my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)! It was delicious! Hands down best Iv'e had yet...and it stayed so moist that was the best part!

      Delete
  2. I'm just getting into the whole peanut butter and chocolate combo and can't wait to try this! I don't think I've ever seen a cake with such huge layers before. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have went a little over board with the frosting :) But what can I say, every since I was little I was always a frosting girl!

      Delete
  3. Uh, wow. That's all I can say. Except, where's my slice???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, I would have gave you more than a slice...to save me the belly ache I got when I ate too big a one!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow that looks amazing! Can I have a slice?! :P

    ReplyDelete