Sunday, June 26, 2011

Boston Cream Pie, oh my!

I have never tasted a Boston cream pie before so when i came across a recipe for Boston cream pie cupcakes I really wanted to make them! I used 2 different recipes to make these actually. The recipe for the cream filling I used was from gracessweetlife.com and the cupcake recipe was from willcookforsmiles.com. Both just wonderful sites to check out! :)

The cupcakes are pretty much a recipe for your basic vanilla cupcake, then comes the good stuff...

For the filling you will need:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Now what you will do is:

Stir sugar with flour and salt.  
Lightly whisk eggs in a large saucepan; stir in sugar mixture until throughly combined.  
Slowly stir in milk, making sure to incorporate mixture at edges of bottom.  
Place over medium heat.  Stirring constantly, bring just to a boil.  (I think I took mine off a little too early because when I piped the cream into the cupcakes, it was not very thick which made it a little messy, but still delicious!)
Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.  
Place a piece of plastic wrap or buttered waxed paper directly on surface of cream.
Cool to lukewarm.

Now, once you have them all cooked up, you will want to let them cool a little bit, but you also will want to pipe in the cream before they are fully cooled. Half of mine ended up perfect, and half, well....I got a little carried away with the cream.



This is perfect...



And this is a little carried away :)
 I just wiped off the excess cream when this happened. No biggie! Next came the ganache.
We know that this is heavy cream and chocolate so lets get started!  The recipe I used said to spoon the ganache on top, but I found it a lot easier to just dip and twirl!

A couple of them got a little messy, but that just means you did a good job!
Well, lets take a look at the inside shall we?



mmmmmm....thats all I can say!
For a cupcake that does not have loads of frosting, these were very delicious!

If you have never tried a Boston Cream Pie, go ahead, try it ;)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment