Thursday, June 30, 2011

How I miss margarita Mondays!

Last Monday I was sitting at work thinking about how I have not been out for a Margarita Monday in so long! Well, something had to be done here so instead of just going out to eat and getting a mega margarita, I decided to make some strawberry margarita cupcakes! Hey, you would do the same thing!

So I found an interesting recipe that really included tequila in it, yes!!!

Here we go!!!

For the cupcakes:
3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarita mix
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp lime zest ( I did not use this, could have been the killer for me!)
5 tbsp strawberry preserves
1/3 cup tequila
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. (Make them festive liners) :)

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the margarita mix, lime juice, lime zest, strawberry preserves and tequila. Mix on low speed to incorporate. (The batter will look kind of, hmmm, not good? Don't worry, this is ok!) Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 the milk, and repeat mixing after each addition until just incorporated, ending with the flour mixture.

Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners (I know, I know, you know that) and bake for 20 minutes.

For the glaze:
1/2 cup margarita mix
2 tbsp tequila
1/2 cup powdered sugar
red food coloring

Add powdered sugar to a small bowl, whisk in margarita mix and tequila to make a thick liquid glaze. Add a few drops of red food coloring. Poke 4-5 holes in each cooled cupcake with a wooden skewer. Spoon glaze over cupcakes.

For the frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4-6 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp margarita mix
2 tbsp strawberry preserves
red food coloring

Beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy (MMMM...) Add margarita mix and strawberry preserves and beat until well incorporated. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until frosting is desired consistency. Add a few drops of red food coloring. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with a sliced strawberry, or whatever the heck your feelin!

Ok, so sounds like a pretty decent recipe right? Looks like a pretty good cupcake right?

And this is with the glaze!

Now just looking at these got me all excited to jump right into one, after I frosted them of course. (I didn't get a picture with the frosting on, must have been in a hurry that day )
So i take the first bite and WOW!! Tasted like I took a shot of tequila, I could not believe it!
Now, I never like to say my cooking is horrible but, I would not say these were very good. I was thinking that I shouldn't even drive after eating 1 of these! Yes, they were that tequila'd up!

I still want to try out another margarita cupcake recipe because i do believe that there is one out there that will knock my sock off. Oh well, I'll keep searching! Adios! ;)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment