I was really craving some chocolate covered cherries, is that weird? Anywho...I figured chocolate covered cherries on top of some cherry cupcakes..YES!
I have had these cherry chips in my cupboard now for awhile and well, I guess the feeling is like when your little and you get money and it "burns a hole in your pocket" (ok, I guess that is still what happens to me at this age) but I have been wanting to use them so bad and now was the chance!
Have you seen these before? I had only seen them once, that is why I was so excited to use them!
Here is the recipe I used.
For the cupcakes you will need:
1/2 cup butter, room temp
4 egg white, room temp
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
A big handful of cherry chips
For the frosting you will need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions for the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with liners.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, combine buttermilk and cherry juice. Set aside.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter on medium to high speed for30 seconds. Add sugar, vanilla and almond extract and beat until combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
5. Sprinkle cherry chips into each muffin cup.
Now take a spoon/fork/whatever you got handy and push the chips into the batter a little, just so they don't all stay on the top.
6. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Directions for frosting:
1. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, beating well.
2. Beat in maraschino cherry juice and almond extract.
3. Gradually beat in additional confectioners' sugar. If necessary, beat in additional juice or milk.
4. Frost cupcakes and top with a chocolate covered cherry.
Chocolate covered cherry you ask? YUP! While those cupcake are baking, bust out some of the maraschino cherries (with the stems) and some almond bark. Melt the chocolate and just dip the cherries and let dry on wax paper. That's it! They are so good and dress up the cupcakes nicely!
Frost, frost, frost!
(Like my new crackle nail polish? Just thought I'd throw that in there, because I love it!)
Eat, eat, eat!
You cannot tell me that those don't look good! Those cherry chips were a great find!
These would also be real sweet to make for a special someone on V-day ;)
I partied @