Sunday, January 29, 2012

Streusel topped Blueberry Muffins

Homemade blueberry muffins burst with fresh flavor that store-bought can never duplicate--and it doesn't take rocket science to make them great!

You thought I made that up all by myself didn't you? Ah, I wish I could say that I did but that is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook itself, where I found this great recipe for blueberry muffins. I received this cookbook as a Christmas present from my mom (maybe she thought I needed a little help in the cooking department?) and it comes with some wonderful tips and tricks for cooking/baking/and just about any do it yourself mmm mmm food recipes. I absolutely love this book.

So searching through it I was thinking "How the heck am I going to pick something to make...soooo many choices" Then I flipped to the 'Breads' section and Bam! I seen these muffins and it was fate. Iv'e only made muffins from out of a box so after I made these and tested them, wow, I guess Betty Crocker was right when she said store bought cannot compete. Lets get you started on your way to making some muffins yourself!

You will need:
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh, canned (drained) or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)
2 tablespoons coarse sugar

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, beat milk, oil and egg with whisk until well mixed. Stir in flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt all at once just until flour is moistened. (Batter will be lumpy).


If you're like me, you will have everything all ready to go!
3. Fold in blueberries.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon coarse sugar.


**Alright, now I was a little peeved because I searched 4 different stores for coarse sugar and could not find any! Can you believe that?! So I went ahead and make streusel-topped blueberry muffins. If you want to make these omit the coarse sugar and do this:

In a medium bowl, mix 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons firm butter, using pastry blender or fork, until crumbly.
Now instead of putting the coarse sugar on top, sprinkle each with about 1 tablespoon streusel.

5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm if desired.

Betty says that and overmixed muffin has a peaked, smooth top, an overbaked muffin is dry with a rough top and will be too brown and a perfect muffin is slightly rounded with a bumpy top. I'd say mine were perfect! Thank you Miss Crocker for the wonderful recipe! :)
My advice? Eat 1,2, ok....3 right away while they are fresh and still warm! They do warm up nicely too.
Who's ready to make some muffins!?
I partied @
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love muffins with streusel! i tagged you in a questionnaire come check out my post! http://bridgetbakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-was-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete