I popped on over to Kevin & Amanda and found this recipe for snickers cupcakes with a chocolate mousse filling. Yes please!
You know the drill:
For the cupcakes:
1 box devils food cake mix
1 small box jello chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
For the chocolate mousse filling:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups milk chocolate chips
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
1 stick softened butter
2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
AND 1 bag of mini snickers for tops of cupcakes!
Directions for the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake tins with liners.
2. In a stand mixer, place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk and sour cream and beat for 2 minutes or until well combined.
Seriously, could this look any better!? The batter was soo good to eat, almost didn't have any left for the cupcakes!
3. Scoop the batter evenly into the cupcake liners.
I just couldn't get over how fudgey and chocolately this batter was. And trust me, do not over-fill these liners, cuz these suckers got big!
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and place on cooling rack to let cool.
Directions for the chocolate mousse:
1. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and set aside to cool.
2. Whip the heavy cream with a stand mixer until it looks like whipped cream and stiff peaks form.
3. Fold in the melted chocolate chips into the whipped cream until well combined, then transfer to a piping bag.
Melted chocolate chips
Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe mousse filling into each one.
Directions for chocolate buttercream frosting:
1. Beat the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla until well combined and a nice frosting consistency. (This did not work at all for me! I mean, it was a disaster. So what I did to fix this was I added some milk...a lot of milk, some more butter, and a lot more whipping. It all came together eventually.)
Now frost each cupcake and top with chopped snickers!
Before I show you my final cupake, here is a look at what they looked like fresh out of the oven...
And now here is what they looked like after I got done making the mousse, turned back around and was like what the!?
They started goin' doooowwwwnnnn...(it's because I used that darn boxed cake mix isn't it?) Nothing good ever comes from cheating. I didn't fret though, because then I figured the mousse would fluff these little guys right back up!
And how can we forget to take a look at that mousse filling...I think it was probably the best part!
The snickers just top these cupcakes and put them over the edge...of course if someone doesn't like snickers...put anything you want on top. I added a little extra caramel sauce on the tops of mine because HELLO..caramel, yum!
If I had one word to describe these I would say "fluffy". Honestly they melt in your mouth. These would make a perfect Valentine's treat :)
I partied @